Monday, March 23, 2009

Second Verse, Same as the First

Still steadily applying for internships, but no word back on anything yet. I'm also gradually getting back into the swing of university life, but it's harder to concentrate on work when the weather is nice.

Last week in 450 (my CommDesign class that is a mix of junior & senior students) was research and presentation week, where everyone in the class presented their ideas for new projects. Juniors are required to do a publication for at least one of our projects, so I'm designing a magazine about hip-hop. The focus is going to be on the culture of hip-hop, but not just the commercialized veneer. It's going to celebrate DJs, MCs, style, writing, break dancing & graffiti, while delving a little bit deeper into the socio-cultural-political issues surrounding this lifestyle.

I'm so excited about the topic because the magazine is a sort of crossover between my design classes and the writing class I'm taking (Black Underground Music & Technology). My hope is that I can showcase both my writing and design in my portfolio, and this seems like the perfect way to do so! I need to flesh out the concept a bit more, but this week is "Visual Reality" week, which means I have to work on logos, covers, article layouts, and departments...whew! Better get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment