Friday, September 11, 2009

Practice safe design: Use a concept.

One of the great things about being in the CommDesign program at Syracuse is that we get to pick our own projects. From start to finish, our projects are something that we've created ourselves--from the initial idea to the eventual physical form it takes. When I graduate, I know that I'm going to be coming out with a portfolio full of projects that I love and that are unique from any other graduating senior. Yet while this method is a fantastic exercise in thinking, it can be quite frustrating in actual practice.

We're already two weeks in and I'm struggling a bit with my first project in CommDesign. I think I'd be more worried if I wasn't unsure because then the challenge would be gone (and the fun with it), but at the moment it is proving somewhat troublesome.

My idea originally came from an article I recently ran across with the headline"Male birth control pills soon a reality." Awesome! Now, what to do with it? Realistically thinking, it would be a pharmaceutical; therefore, I wouldn't really be able to brand the name (A friend of mine worked at Pfizer and said they name prescription drugs by throwing a bunch of letters together and checking with legal to make sure the name's not already taken), and the packaging wouldn't be that important since it's not over-the-counter.

After going in circles a bit this week, I think I've decided on 1 of 2 ideas:
1) A program that has teens who have had experience with teen pregnancy coming to schools and talking to other teens about the consequences of unsafe sex. (meh? or yeh?)

2) A cross-media campaign specifically directed at males, promoting responsibility and the use of contraception.

Thoughts are welcome. I need to hash this out before Monday so I can get cracking on the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment