Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Practical Things Learned in NYC So Far...

1. Always wear comfortable shoes. One of the best things about being in NYC is walking around and seeing the various stores and restaurants. If you’re traveling a few blocks, however, taking the subway will be much quicker.

2. Have your Metrocard at the ready. The method that’s worked best for me so far is to put the cards I use most frequently (NYU Housing Card, Metrocard, JPMC ID) in a separate, slim wallet that I can keep in the front (zippered) pocket of my bag.

3. The 30-day unlimited Metropass will save you a ton of $ and you won’t have to worry about refilling it.

4. No matter where you go (movies, festival, out to eat), you will have to wait in line, so leave early! (This one is something of a no-brainer, but it caught me off-guard when I went to the movies.)

5. New York City is made up of 5 boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and Staten Island). Most people, when they visit, go to Manhattan, which is home to the theatre district, Central Park, Times Square, Ground Zero, etc.

6. The subway system is color-coded and each color represent a different line. The lines run along a certain avenue, so for example, the numbers 1, 2, and 3 are red and they are the 7th Avenue line; the A, C and E lines are blue and they run along 8th Avenue (this is what I take to get to work).

That's all I've got so far, but I'm sure there will be more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment